Objective: This resource is intended to engage students in hands-on activities to discover the many facets of a local aquatic ecosystem and to spark an interest in local conservation efforts.
1) Mapping Chippewa Creek
Students have the opportunity to investigate the landscape level features of Chippewa Creek. Activities include:
· Measurement and observations of creek features
· Map sketch of their study site
· Discussion on human impacts on the creek
Curriculum Expectations: Grade 9 Academic & Applied Science: B1, B2, B3
2) General Creek Health Assessment
Students will conduct a general creek health assessment according to the Community Stream Stewardship Program’s Stream Health Checklist. Activities include:
· Field observations
· Assessment based on human and natural factors.
· Development of a remediation plan to tack two challenges they observe in the creek
Curriculum Expectations: Grade 9 Academic & Applied Science: A1, B2, B3